New Features on 270toWin
Here are some of the most recent updates on the site. To keep up with the latest site information, please follow us on Twitter or like our Facebook page. Note also that we tweet about most new polls as we add them to the site.
- June 10, 2014: Added poll pages for Senate, House & Governor 2014 elections. Also, updated header menu to organize by electoral entity.
- May 2, 2014: Released version 1.4 of iPad App. Enhancements include updates through 2012 election, ability to create specific 2016 matchups and higher resolution graphics.
- March 20,2014: Launched new site Elections This Year with content and interactive maps related to Congressional midterm and gubernatorial elections.
- November 5, 2013: Click or tap this geolocation link to see elected officials for your current location.
- October 4, 2013: A Clinton vs. Christie electoral map based on very early 2016 polling.
- July 25, 2013: Already looking ahead to 2016? Add this countdown clock to your website or blog.
- July 2, 2013: Locate your members of Congress as well as your state legislators with this new Elected Officials Lookup. Feature includes a map that shows the majority party and total count of various legislative bodies in each state.
- May 22, 2013: Who will control Congress? Interactive map for 2014 House Election is now available. Includes FIND feature.
- April 19, 2013: There will be new nominees for both parties in 2016. You can now create and share maps with candidate-specific 2016 matchups.
- March 12, 2013: Don't like the results? Change the rules! Explore proposed alternative electoral college allocation methods with our interactive Gaming the Electoral College feature.
- November 2: Introducing Battleground 270. where you can adjust the probability that Obama or Romney will win each battleground state to see how it impacts the likely range of outcomes for the election.
- October 24: A close election is looking likely. Use the new Tie Finder. to map out the ways neither candidate gets to 270 electoral votes.
- October 15: Updated the 270toWin iPad App. The 2012 projection maps are more current, and will stay current with new over the air updating functionality. You can also see and filter polls for each state without exiting the App.
- September 22: An Early Voting Map has been added. See the dates for early voting in each state. Includes the start date for absentee balloting as well as the period for an in-person early voting.
- September 7: The 2012 House Elections Map has been added, reflecting new Districts created by redistricting. Use this map to forecast which party will control the House in the 113th Congress that begins January, 2013.
- August 31: We've added Election Widgets for America's Electoral Map , the Simulator and the Polling Map. Add these to your website or blog.
- August 22: The 2012 Senate Map has been updated to allow for the selection of an unaffiliated Independent candidate (Angus King) in Maine. You can now forecast how the 2013 Senate with a King victory, and see how it would look prior to his choosing a party caucus. Depending on the other 32 Senate races turn out, King could quickly become one of the biggest power brokers in DC.
- August 7: The America's Electoral Map Contest was launched, with $2,000 in prizes. The object of the contest is to create an aggregate electoral map - America's Electoral Map - that will attempt to predict the 2012 election outcome. We'll find out in November whether the 'wisdom of the crowd' leads to an accurate forecast. When viewing the map, hover your mouse pointer to see a variety of statistics; click a state to see daily trends.
- Jul 11: The Road to 270 was enhanced. This feature calculates and displays the critical paths to 270 for Obama and Romney based on your map. It will also calculate all tie scenarios.
- May 1: The simulator was relaunched for 2012. This tool lets you run a simulated election in about 15 seconds. The inputs are based on polling averages. Every night we run 10,000 simulations and post the results. To see results by day since May 1, visit the new daily simulator trends page.
- Spring: A new 2012 election polls section was introduced. Visit the preceding link to see the latest poll for each state where a poll is available. Sort by date, state, competitiveness, Obama percentage of the vote or Romney percentage of the vote. From here there are links to visit each state history page or all the polls for a certain state. On those pages (e.g., Wisconsin), there's the ability to filter by pollster(s). The Obama vs. Romney polling map is also available.
- Spring: The Electoral College Quiz was redesigned. Also,we've got an under-used electon trivia feature on the site that we call 270toWin Answers. Want to know that the last Republican to win while losing both Colorado and Nevada was Taft in 1908? Here's the place to find out.
- Finally, for those that want to put the election in their hands, the 270toWin iPad app is now just 99 cents.
270toWin combines an interactive Electoral College map for the then-current presidential election cycle with historical maps and information for all prior elections. It educates its audience on the Electoral College system, and the integral role it plays in electing the President. The site's engaging content has led to significant recognition. The site is linked to from the National Archives website and a touch-screen version of the 270toWin interactive map was a component of the Vote4Me exhibit at the McCormick Freedom Museum in Chicago during 2008.