Live Results: Legislative Special Elections in Connecticut and South Carolina
By 270toWin Staff
January 25, 2022, 6:17 PM ET
One vacancy in the Connecticut State House will be filled today via special election. In South Carolina, Republicans will choose a nominee for an upcoming State Senate special election.
Connecticut State House District 144
Democrats hold 95 of the 151 seats in the Connecticut State House. There are 53 Republicans and three vacancies. Terms are for two years; the next regular elections are in November. These will be contested using redistricted boundaries.
District 144 is in the southwestern part of the state and includes parts of Stamford. Democrat Caroline Simmons resigned on December 1 to become that city's mayor; she won the office in a November election. First elected to the House in 2016, Simmons was unopposed in 2018 and 2020.
The major party nominees are Hubert Delany (D) and Danny Melchionne (R). Polls close at 8:00 PM Eastern Time.
South Carolina State Senate District 31 (Primary)
Republicans hold 29-16 lead over Democrats in the 46-member South Carolina State Senate. Terms are for four years; the next regular elections are in 2024. These will be contested using redistricted boundaries.
District 31 is located near Florence. Republican Hugh Leatherman, who had been in the State Senate since 1981, died on November 12. Leatherman was unopposed in the three elections (2012, 2016, 2020) since the last redistricting.
Democrats will field a candidate in the March 29 special general election, however. Suzanne La Rochelle was the only qualifier; she will be the nominee.
Jay Jordan and Mike Reichenbach are competing for the GOP nomination. Polls close at 7:00 PM Eastern Time.
- February 8
- Arkansas State Senate District 7 Special Election
- Oklahoma City Mayor
- February 15
- California State Assembly Districts 17 and 49 Special Primaries
- Milwaukee Mayor (All Party Special Primary)
- New York State Assembly Districts 60 and 72 Special Elections
- February 22
- Connecticut State House District 71 Special Election
- Kentucky State House District 42 Special Election
- March 1
- Connecticut State House District 5 Special Election
- Michigan State House Districts 15, 36, 43, and 74 Special Primaries
- Texas Primary (first statewide primary for 2022: Election Calendar)
- March 8
- Florida State House District 88 Special Election
- Florida State Senate District 33 Special Election
- South Carolina State House District 97 Special Primary