Overview and Live Results: New York Assembly District 68 Special Election
By 270toWin Staff
January 18, 2022, 5:29 PM ET
New York State Assembly District 68
Democrats hold 103 of the 150 seats in the New York State Assembly. There are 43 Republicans as well as one member from the Independence Party. There are three vacancies. Terms are for two years; the next regular elections are in November. These will be contested using newly redistricted boundaries that have not yet been finalized.
Vacancies in Districts 60 and 72 will be filled in special elections on February 15. The prior incumbents of these two districts, both Democrats, were elected to the New York City Council in November.
District 68 is a New York City district largely comprised of the East Harlem area of Manhattan. Democrat Robert Rodriguez resigned in early November after being nominated to become New York's Secretary of State by Gov. Kathy Hochul (D). He is acting in that position now, awaiting confirmation by the State Senate. Rodriguez had been in the State Assembly for about 10 years.
The major party nominees are Eddie Gibbs (D) and Daby Carreras (R). Polls close at 9:00 PM Eastern Time.
- January 25
- Connecticut State House District 144 Special Election
- South Carolina State Senate District 31 Special Primary
- February 8
- Arkansas State Senate District 7 Special Election
- Oklahoma City Mayor
- February 15
- California State Assembly Districts 17 and 49 Special Primaries
- Milwaukee Mayor (All Party Special Primary)
- New York State Assembly Districts 60 and 72 Special Elections
- February 22
- Connecticut State House District 71 Special Election
- Kentucky State House District 42 Special Election
- March 1
- Michigan State House Districts 15, 36, 43, and 74 Special Primaries
- Texas Primary (first statewide primary for 2022: Election Calendar)