270toWin Redesign

Rep. Jeb Hensarling of Texas to Retire; 30th House Member Not Running in 2018

October 31, 2017

Rep. Jeb Hensarling of Texas announced Tuesday that he will not seek reeelection in 2018. The Dallas-area Republican, now in his 8th term, is chair of the powerful House Financial Services Committee. He will serve out the remainder of his term.

In this deep red district, Hensarling easily won reelection last November with nearly 81% of the vote. The Democratic Party did not field a candidate; Libertarian Ken Ashby took the other 19%. Donald Trump won here by about 29 points. 

Hensarling is the 20th Republican, and 30th member overall, planning to retire or run for another office in 2018. 

comments powered by Disqus

Headlines

Andrew Yang Qualifies for Final Presidential Debate of 2019

He's the seventh candidate to make the December 19 debate stage

The Road to 270: Oklahoma

The fourth in a weekly series that will cover each state's political landscape leading up to the 2020 presidential election

Introducing the 2020 Democratic Delegate Calculator

The road to 1,990 pledged delegates begins in Iowa on February 3. See how the candidates are doing based on polling.

Rep. George Holding to Retire; First Casualty of Redrawn Congressional Maps

Redistricting has made the North Carolina 2nd district a safely Democratic seat

Rep. Tom Graves of Georgia Will Not Seek Reelection in 2020

This deep red district in northwest Georgia should stay in GOP hands