Live Results: Alabama State House Special Primary Elections
By 270toWin Staff
September 26, 2023, 12:59 PM ET
This Tuesday, there are special primaries in two State House districts in Alabama. Republicans dominate that chamber, holding 75 seats, to just 27 for Democrats. There are three vacancies. Members serve four-year terms; the next regular elections are in 2026.
In these primaries, if no candidate gets a majority of the vote, the top two finishers will meet in an October 24 runoff. The special general elections are scheduled for January 9, 2024.
Polls close at 8:00 PM Eastern Time.
Alabama State House District 16 (Primary)
District 16 is located north of Tuscaloosa and west of Birmingham. Republican Kyle South resigned at the end of June to become head of the West Alabama Chamber of Commerce. South was unopposed for reelection in 2022.
Five Republicans are competing to succeed South. The winner will meet the Democratic nominee John Underwood.
Alabama State House District 55 (Primary)
The Birmingham area District 55 has been vacant since May. Democrat Fred Plump was only a few months into his first term, but resigned after being indicted on federal charges. He had been unopposed in the 2022 general election.
Seven Democrats are seeking the party's nomination. No Republicans are contesting the seat.
Early voting for the November 7 legislative elections in Virginia began this past Friday.
Looking ahead to 2024? Bookmark the Presidential Election Calendar.
- October 3
- Florida State House District 118 Special (Primary)
- Oregon State House District 8 (Recall)
- October 5
- Memphis, Tennessee Mayoral
- October 10
- Durham, North Carolina Mayoral (Primary)
- Massachusetts State Senate District Worcester & Hampshire Special (Primary)
- Oklahoma State Senate District 32 Special (Primary)
- October 14
- Louisiana All-Party Primary
- General Election Runoff, as needed, November 18
- October 24
- Alabama State House Districts 16 and 55 (Runoffs, as needed)
- South Carolina State Senate District 19 Special (Primary)
- Runoff, as needed, November 7
- November 7
- Kentucky, Mississippi Governor
- State Legislature: Mississippi, New Jersey, Virginia
- Rhode Island Congressional District 1 Special
- Mayors: Aurora, CO; Boise, ID; Charlotte, NC; Columbus, OH; Durham NC; Fort Wayne, IN; Houston, TX; Indianapolis, IN; Orlando, FL; Philadelphia, PA; Spokane, WA; Tucson, AZ; Wichita, KS
- Legislative Special Elections: FL State House District 35 (Primary), KY State House District 93, MA State Senate District Worcester & Hampshire, ME State House District 50, NH State House District Hillsborough 3, RI State Senate District 1, SC State Senate District 42, TX State House District 2
- November 21
- Utah Congressional District 2 Special