June 12, 2021
The Louisiana State Senate is dominated by Republicans. That party controls 27 of the 39 seats. The next regularly scheduled election is 2023.
The District 7 vacancy occurred when the former incumbent, Democrat Troy Carter, resigned on May 10. Carter was elected to Congress in an April special election. The New Orleans area district is heavily Democratic. No Republicans ran in 2015 when Carter was first elected; he ran unopposed in 2019.
This is an all-party primary. There are three Democrats on the ballot and one Republican. If no candidate gets a majority of the vote, a top two general election will be held on July 10.
Polls close at 9:00 PM ET.
- Georgia State House Districts 34 and 156 Special Elections
- Wisconsin State Assembly District 37 Special Primary
- New York City Mayoral Primary
- Buffalo, NY Mayoral Primary
- Alabama State House District 78 Special Democratic Primary Runoff