2008 Actual Election Results
|Candidate||Party||Electoral Votes||Popular Votes|
|✓||Barack H. Obama||Democratic||365||69,498,516|
|John S. McCain||Republican||173||59,948,323|
2008 Election Facts
- McCain won Nebraska but Obama earned an electoral vote by winning the popular vote in the 2nd Congressional District. This marked the first time that Nebraska has split its electoral vote since it moved away from the winner-take-all method in 1992.
- Popular vote totals generally gathered from state Certificates of Ascertainment and/or results posted directly by individual states.
- Popular vote totals from Federal Elections 2008.
- Obama received more votes than any candidate in history. The prior record, about 62 million, was set in 2004 by George W. Bush
- Issues of the Day: Great Recession, Financial panic, Bailouts, Iraq War